Dirty Little Secrets

|
It's no secret that PostSecret has become a cult hit. People send in anonymous postcards with their brightest and/or darkest truths written on them. There is something that is liberating to the sender, believing that someone will read their secret. It seems we have been trained to hold things in, to not share the questionable parts of our humanity.

Have you ever noticed when a child throws a tantrum, that he is totally in the moment and nothing else matters?. Their behavior is raw, uncensored and they are being completely true to themselves and living IN that emotion.

Perhaps your mother told you to "stop crying, or I'll give you something to cry about!" or your father said "I don't like it when you cry - take it like a man." This is a prime example of an underlying message for the child to hold back emotions and repress those feelings, as it's not socially acceptable. The "repressive" footprint on your life has already begun.

I have my own dirty little secrets, as I know you do.

Here is one of my secrets:

I dream very vividly. A lot of my dreams are intensly erotic. In my dreams I'm bi-sexual. I find this intriguing because in reality, I am NOT bi-sexual at all. I desire very masculine men, with somewhat dominant personalities. My therapist once told me that when you dream, it is all about you and the other characters in your dream represent parts of you. Dreams are your subconscious trying to tell you something that you are not consciously aware of. Who knows what lies beneath...

In my early 30's I finally embraced my individuality, and shed the somewhat introverted child that seemed to still be in my shadow. Sharing my "truths" have provided an emotional and spiritual freedom for me. The shock value in sharing them is more than worth it, believe me.

What is your "dirty little secret"?

~Art by Panni Malek

0 comments:

Post a Comment